Outreach Update - Speaking at Refresh DC

From: Justin Thorp <juth@loc.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:50:10 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

On February 15, 2007, I am going to be giving a talk on Web accessibility to Refresh DC, a Web developers user group here in Washington, DC, USA.

One of the big points that I'm going to hit on is the heterogeneous nature of the web.  Different people experience the Web in different ways.  I will draw from the document "How People With Disabilities Use the Web."

I think as a developer its too easy to think that the way I experience the Web is the way that everyone does.   I think once you fully wrap your head around how that's not the case you start to better see why Web Accessibility is of HUGE importance.  It is something that I want to really drive home.

I will then go into the importance of WCAG and how it can help people make their Web sites accessible.

It should be a fun event.  I hope to solicit a lot of feedback that could help EOWG.

Justin Thorp

Justin Thorp
US Library of Congress
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
e - juth@loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541