Re: Baseline & Conformance -- what goes where

Hello Shawn and all,

I am a little bit confused while reading your e-mails. I understood that the Conformance document should not be discussed yet. But if we have to suggest to move some content from the conformance document to the baseline document and / or the other way, we need to comment on the conformance document.

If the conformance document should become a recommendation that cannot be modified anymore, I must point the following sentence that I don't understand.
In heading "conformance" in note 1:
"Because not all level 3 success criteria can be used with all types of content, Triple-A conformance only requires conformance to a portion of level
3 success criteria."
The term "portion" is not clear. How can I identify, as a reviewer, or as a Web site developper, which "portion" of priority 3 should be followed? Can I do it myself or who should do this? Does it mean that someone who implements one technology in his Web site will say: "I will not conformance to this success criterion because it's more convenient for me". So he will conform to some success criteria of priority 3 which are a "portion" of level 3 criteria but that are perhaps not all necessary success criteria that can be applied to such or such technology.

2. The last note of the paragraph is also difficult to understand:
"Note: For each success criterion, there is a list of techniques deemed by the Working Group to be sufficient to meet the requirement. For each technique,
there is a test to determine whether the technique has been successfully implemented. If the test(s) for a "sufficient" technique or combination of techniques
is passed, then the Working Group would consider that success criterion met. However, passing all tests for all techniques is not necessary. Nor is it
necessary to meet a success criterion using one of the sufficient techniques. There may be other techniques which are not documented by the working group
that would also meet the success criterion."

3. In H3: choosing baseline technologies, I don't understand the following concept.
I think it should be better explained to remain in the conformance document:
"The set of such technologies that an author assumes are supported and turned on in accessible user agents is called a baseline. Authors must ensure that
all information and functionality of the Web content conforms to WCAG 2.0 assuming that user agents support all of the technologies in the baseline and
that they are enabled. Non-baseline technologies can also be used, but all information and functionality of the Web content must conform both with all
non-baseline technologies turned on and with the technologies turned off. Both conditions are necessary since some users many have browsers that support
them while others may not."

Regards
Sylvie