Comment on "About Baselines" in "Overview of WCAG 2.0 Documents"

From: Barry McMullin <mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:18:40 +0100 (IST)
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org

Don't want to disrupt the telecon, but want to log this
thought. From the "Overview of WCAG 2.0 Documents" we have the
sentence:

  When a Web site claims to conform to WCAG 2.0, all information
  and functionality of the Web content conform to WCAG 2.0 even
  when a user agent supports only the technologies in the
  baseline.

Reading it one more time, I'm suddenly uneasy/confused by it.  To
me, a critical aspect of baselines is that conformance *requires*
the user side (user agent) to support all baseline technologies.
So it's not so much conformance "even when the user agent
supports only the baseline"; rather, it's "only conformance when
[if?] the user agent supports the [complete?] baseline".  (I know
the grammar is wrong there, I'm just trying the get my idea
across...)

(NB: I am *not* making any statement here about whether or not I
agree with the way the baseline concept have been incorporated
into WCAG 2.0. As we discussed, that's a whole other question...)

Best - Barry.