From: w3c-wai-eo-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-eo-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Alan Chuter
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 4:44 AM
To: EOWG
Subject: WAI materials for aging/ageing population

I've searched (using the new search page) for the worsd "elderly", "aging"
and "ageing" and haven't found very much.

The draft "How People with Disabilities Use the Web" describes a retired
person using the Web
http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/#retiree

"Auxiliary Benefits of Accessible Web Design" says "The population in many
countries is also ageing, and with older age the incidence of disabilties
increases." although this is in the section "Demonstrate Social
Responsibility" rather than "Increase Market Share and Audience Reach" and
it doesn't actually present the business case. BTW, the level 1 heading of
this document doesn't match the title.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/bcase/benefits.html#social

Otherwise there isn't much about the elderly population. It would be
usefult to explain the relationship between ageing and disability, and
that elderly people are often reluctant to consider themselves disabled.
Training needs to take into account that elderly people may find it
difficult to adapt to new technology and access modes than the young.

A colleague mentioned to me the increasing use of telemedicine
applications (or at least research into them). These include remote
diagnosis and online health information. Some places in Spain have started
trials of online prescriptions for medication. These aren't specific to
the elderly, but these people are the primary "market".

best regards,

Alan Chuter
Fundosa Teleservicios
achuter@teleservicios.es