RE: [selecting eval tools] simplifying terminology and wording at beginning

Shawn/Shadi/All,

Just re-reading Shawn's suggested re-wording of Shadi's draft [0] -
certainly makes it clearer, but as a result highlights what appear to be
gaps in the feature classification.

For instance, would we classify WebAIM's WAVE [1] as a transformation tool?
It is vastly different from a program like JAWS [2] that literally
transforms the page from text to sound. Or would we classify the WAVE as a
conformance tool? Again, while it clearly indicates areas on your page that
fail specific checkpoints, it is quite different from programmes like Bobby
[3] that provide a pass/fail type of report.

And how would we classify our Accessibility Toolbar [4]? The Toolbar
includes the option to "validate" pages and CSS, as well as providing a) a
variety of "transformations" as per the WAVE, b) indicators of the presence
of certain (potentially problematic) code and objects c) a variety of
simulations (are these transformations?) and d) hooks into IE for other
manual testing.

I use both the WAVE and the Accessibility Toolbar for "conformance
checking", and yet neither gives me a "report"!

Taking Sailesh's comments [5] further, I think we need to think a little
more about what we mean by Evaluation Tools (Repair Tools are probably clear
enough?) and what features we all look for and/or use. Unfortunately I have
no brilliant ideas immediately, other than to suggest that "conformance
tools" might need to be broken to discuss automatic (limited) conformance
checking and manual conformance checking. It may also mean some more
thinking and reclassification of the ERT listing [6]. For instance, Sailesh
suggests that JAWS should not be considered a transformation tool (though it
fits Shadi's current definition), but raises the question of products like
Home Page Reader [7], which is a useful analytical tool. And then where does
Fangs [8] fit as a simulator of a screen reader?

Seems like a good topic for a forthcoming EO meeting, or maybe a combined
meeting with the ERT Working Group?.

Andrew

[0] http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/eval/selectingtools.html
[1] http://wave.webaim.org/index.jsp
[2] http://www.hj.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp
[3] http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp
[4] http://www.nils.org.au/ais/web/resources/toolbar/index.html
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2004OctDec/0147.html
[6] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/existingtools
[7] http://www-306.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/hpr.html
[8] http://sourceforge.net/projects/fangs/

Dr Andrew Arch
Accessible Information Solutions, NILS
Ph +613 9864 9282; Fax +613 9864 9370
http://www.nils.org.au/ais/

National Information and Library Service
A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.