From: Shawn Lawton Henry [mailto:shawn@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 10:25 PM
To: 'Roberto Castaldo'; w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Subject: [Intro to Web Access.] RE: Technological disabilities and Web
accessibility

Roberto's complete email is included at the end of this email. I've
excerpted at top only minimal text to frame replies.

> why not including the technological... disability

Two points:
- "technological disabilities" is not a term that is commonly understood
(I wasn't even sure what you meant until I read further :)
- we discussed keeping the main focus upfront on people with
disabilities and having the other benefits separate

> 3. Suggestion for revision:
> My proposed wording: "Flexibility benefits all people who use
> the Web, including people without disabilities who have
> different preferences, people with tecnological or temporary
> disabilities (such as a slow connection or a broken arm), and
> older people"

How about:
"Web accessibility can also benefit organizations and people without
disabilities. For example, a key principle of Web accessibility is
flexibility to meet different needs, situations, and preferences.
Flexibility benefits all people who use the Web, including people
without disabilities in different situations (such as low bandwidth),
people with temporary disabilities (such as a broken arm), and older
people."

I wonder which is more easily understood and accurate "slow connection"
or "low bandwidth"

If anyone has any input, please sent it to the EOWG list.

~ Shawn