Draft Quick Tips generalization for WCAG 2

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:58:44 -0500
To: "EOWG" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Back on August 29 I attempt to generalize and extend the quick tips card,
I just found it unsent in my out mailbox.

Here is my attempt to eliminate the HTML-specific references; I hope
this or something similar will apply to WCAG 2.0/Harvey

For Complete Guidelines [& Checklist?]:
<http://www.w3.org/WAI>www.w3.org/WAI [WCAG 2.0 eventually]

    * Images & animations: Textually describe each visual using the
appropriate attribute.
    * Image maps. Use a textual description for each region having multiple
hot-spots.
    * Multimedia. Provide captioning and transcripts of audio, and
descriptions of video.
    * Hypertext links. Use text that makes sense when read out-of-context.
For example, avoid "click here."
    * Page organization. Use headings, lists, and consistent structure. Use
CSS for layout and consistent style where possible.
    * Graphs & charts. Summarize or use an attribute linking to a long
textual description.
    * Scripts, applets, & plug-ins. Provide alternative content in case
active features are inaccessible or unsupported.
    * Frames. Use an alternative element with meaningful titles.
    * Tables. Make line-by-line reading sensible. Summarize.
    * Check your work. Validate. Use tools, checklists, and guidelines
developed for the applications you use.