Re: WCAG 2: Background and Abstract

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 06:42:33 -0700
To: "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>, <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
At 10:49 AM 8/21/2003 -0400, Sailesh Panchang wrote:
>Will one have the option to  continue using  1.0 ?

Although we are immersed in the details of 2.0, we keep coming back to the
notion that it might very well be worthwhile to reconsider (at the WAI
level, at least) whether there is actually a *need* for 2.0 and its
attendant radical transmogrification of the recommendation. Perhaps not
really an EO concern, but I would like to recommend that *somebody*
re-assess the decision to make HUGE changes in 1.0 (maybe just a 1.1 is in
order?). I know this was discussed at length before, but perhaps CG could
take a new look even if only in order to placate one old person?

I really think that 2.0 undermines some of the great things that have
accrued from the very existence/acceptance of 1.0. It makes any future
recommendations look sort of "tenuous" because of such fundamental changes
that, while attempting to re-define "normative" (how can something
normative be so evanescent). The new version seems somehow less
substantive, but I can't put a finger on it - just that if we were so
"wrong" before, why should we be believed now?

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!