conformance model redux

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:21:34 -0700
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org

I'm having concerns about changing the nomenclature of the conformance
model in WCAG 2.0, in part brought about by remarks I heard from Chuck on a
radio program in which he said Canada (with a "policy" not a "law") called
for conformance with P1/P2. Even though there are consistently pointed-out
flaws/inconsistencies with that scheme, to some considerable extent: 1) it
works; 2) it was guaranteed to have some stability. The word was
"normative". If the scheme can be too blithely changed, we are behaving
like a greedy software manufacturer putting out "Rev. 1.1" endlessly to
make earlier versions obsolete.

Although "normative" doesn't equate to "engraved in stone", it should be
given respect. If the new "model" can be mapped to the previous one, it
probably need not be!

This is an EO problem: how can we maintain believability/respectability? We
lobbied hard/effectively to get our recommendations "adopted" (sometimes
even incorporated into law/regulation/policy) and we must maintain a stance
that this stuff is still just as important as when we urged its mandating.

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!