  From: Judy Brewer
  To: EOWG
  Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 8:44 AM
  Subject: Online Overview: What is Web Accessibility [slide]

  EOWG:

  This is what we came up with in EOWG after considerable discussion several
  weeks ago:

  ---------------

  What is Web Accessibility?

  Web accessibility means access to the Web by everyone, regardless of
  disability.

  Web accessibility includes:
  - Web sites and applications
           -- that people with disabilities can perceive, understand,
  navigate, and interact with;
  - Web browsers and media players
           -- that can be used effectively by people with disabilities, and
           -- that work well with assistive technologies that some people
  with disabilities use to access the Web;
  - Web authoring tools, and evolving Web technologies
           -- that support production of accessible Web content and Web
  sites, and
           -- that are usable by people with disabilities.

  --------------

  I took this to the WAI Coordination Group (Chairs of all WAI Working
  Groups) given their interest in the topic. There was some concern about
  whether the term "access to" was adequate, and Jan Richards suggested
  "effective use," which the other WAI CG members thought would be effective.
  Here is a slightly modified version of something he suggested, for your
  further consideration:

  --------------

  What is Web Accessibility?

  Web accessibility means effective use of all aspects of the Web by
  everyone, regardless of disability.

  Effective use means the ability to perceive, understand, navigate,
  author and interact, by oneself or with appropriate assistive technology.

  Aspects of the Web include Web sites and applications, Web browsers
  and media players, Web authoring tools, and evolving Web technologies.

  I'm wondering whether we can't just build the term "effective use" into our
  original slide?

  Regards,

  - Judy