outreach update - need help spreading the word...

From: Shawn Lawton Henry <shawn@uiaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:29:09 -0500
To: "'EOWG'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

The "Web Design that Works for Everyone" conference
(http://www.adaptenv.org/webconference/index.php):

1. has a good line up (including our own Judy Brewer, and people from
Macromedia & Adobe, WGBH & NCAM, and the design community, including the
executive director of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA))

and 2. is relatively cheap ($300 for 2 days (early registration discount
through this coming Monday 30 Sept)).

However, registration is very low.

I am interested in the low attendance at such events. Certainly some of
it is due to the economy - conference attendance is way down for most
established conferences. However, I think there is something more going
on with accessibility. I know of a few different workshop that have had
to cancel in the last couple months because of low registration. Perhaps
one factor is that people feel they can get what they need on the Web?
I'm not sure what all is at issue. Interesting to speculate, anyway.

- Shawn