Re: Business Case for ATAG General Comments

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:09:55 -0700
To: "Alistair Garrison" <alistair.garrison@accessinmind.com>, <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
At 01:40 PM 9/20/2002 +0100, Alistair Garrison wrote:
>Please let me know your comments...

A coupla years ago in L.A. I attended my last F2F of EO and at that time
several members, in particular Andrew Arch made strong moves towards
getting off the "cap in hand"/"right thing to do"/"it's the law" arguments
for accessibility "business case" concerns and onto a track in which it was
posited that beyond all the moral/legal/ethical issues it might very well
be that these concerns addressed such things as efficiency and usability
that traditional "costing" analyses (without examination of subtle benefits
to be gained from our approach) essentially ignored.

We must continue aggressively in this regard. The reasons to implement ATAG
in one's authoring tools offerings must include not just the fact that our
"recommendations" are beginning to gain the status of legal (as well as
ethical/moral) "requirements" but that they make good technical (and
therefore, business) sense.  Some of this attitude is inherent in the
present instance and I'm not sure how to (or even if) modify it, but I
think it very important not to weaken it in any way and to be out front
with it.

Sorry not to be specific but I'm sure you get the idea.

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!