Comments on Aux. Benefits

From: Ellen Perlow <EPerlow@twu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:23:01 -0500 (CDT)
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Cc: EPerlow@twu.edu

Dear Everyone:  I hope you are enjoying your meeting in Toronto.

Thank you Andrew, for your work on the "Auxiliary Benefits." May I urge us to
find MUCH more positive language than "Improve usability for non-disabled [a
double-negative] and disabled [a negative] visitors."

How about "Improve usability for all visitors."

Example: Last night, I was using what was purportedly the accessible
workstation at a library, in particular the screen magnifier to read small
print.  Besides the machine being old with one light bulb not working, there
was a great deal of sunlight and glare coming through the window - even with
the venetian blinds closed.  The sunlight and glare made it very difficult to
impossible for me - OR ANYONE - to read anything on the screen.

Accessibility is about EVERYONE, something EVERYONE needs.  If we want everyone
to support and join our cause (as they should for their own personal benefit),
I believe that we need to try to make our advocacy positive, relevant and appealing to everyone.

Thanks again,

Ellen Perlow