Re: Accessible Flash Content with Macromedia Flash MX?

From: Carol Ott <csott@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:37:21 -0500
To: "Andrew Arch" <amja@optushome.com.au>, "EOWG" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Arch" <amja@optushome.com.au>
To: "EOWG" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 4:21 AM
Subject: Accessible Flash Content with Macromedia Flash MX?

>  http://webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa030602a.htm

This is a wonderful first step and it's a long time coming....but the onus
is really on the webdesigners to use the accessibility features in Flash and
other programs.  You can add all the features you want -- but if nobody uses
them.....?

I think it's so important to educate the design community about the
accessibility issues faced by so many internet users -- software can be
modified, but some designers' attitudes can't.  There are a couple
interesting discussions about the usability of Flash on the
alt.design.graphics newsgroup -- some of you who are interested in
accessible design might want to take a peek or jump right in.  I need a
couple more pro-accessibility people to jump in on my side!

And then what about the issue of bandwidth accessibility?  Colour blindness?
Again, these issues are resolved at the design level -- no amount of
software features will help unless shortsighted designers are willing to
implement an accessibility plan that takes more people into consideration.

Carol Ott
personal:  http://www.csott.com
professional:  http://www.csottdesign.com