Re: IE hover jump fix & keyboard highlight

Sean,

Great, thanks for working on this. Comments below:

At 11:00 AM 2/22/02 -0600, Shawn Lawton Henry wrote:
>EOWG folks -
>
>jump:
>I got the jump to stop in IE by making "suitenav1" a paragaph

Aha, great.

>(because
>"clear" applies to block-level elements

Well, I wonder if the "clear" is even necessary, that was added by a
colleague to avoid a different problem, and I'm not sure that problem would
have actually happened. But if <P> works, so be it.

>- see
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#flow-control and
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#block-level).
>
>yellow highlight with keyboard Tab:
>I got the highlight to work in IE by adding a:active.

Ah, I had had that, but taken it out at some point thinking, erroneously,
that it might have contributed to the jumping problem.

>However, I couldn't
>get the highlight with keyboard to work in (old version of) Opera. Not sure
>why...

Doesn't work in my old Opera either.

>leaving the underline:
>The current version also removed the underline with the highlight
>(text-decoration: none). I would like to suggest that we don't do that -
>because underline is the most common affordance for clickable so we
>shouldn't remove it when the item is still clickable. (I did remove it in
>the HTML version attached.)

This is deliberate. The idea is to be sure to have some redundant way of
differentiating the hovered-over or active link. For people who can't pick
up the yellow highlight, the dropping out of the underline is also a cue.
The fact that the dropping out is transitory means that people can still
observe the underlining most of the time.

>The changes I made are preceeded in the HTML (attched or below depending on
>your e-mail progragm) by a comment with "SLH" and listed below:
>
>added --        [.xyz] a:active
>
>removed --      text-decoration: none
>
>changed --      <DIV class="suitenav1"> [and </div>]
>         to --   <p class="suitenav1"> [and </p>]
>
>We'll want to make sure these changes don't mess up anything else.

Shawn, this is really helpful. I will try this on a few other pages, and
then ask for more feedback and for confirmation that the phantom jumping
hover doesn't re-emerge from the swamps. Actually, what I'll do now that
I've gotten back access to direct style sheet editing through emacs, is to
build these into one style sheet which we can tweak, rather than tweaking
individual pages which is not the way we ordinarily do our site here.

>Cheers,
>
>- Shawn

- Judy