Corporate implementation plan, reposting Natasha's draft

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:03:05 -0400
To: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Cc: "LIPKINA,NATASHA (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)" <natasha_lipkina@hp.com>
Natasha,

Thank you for posting a draft of a corporate implementation plan for Web
accessibility, for discussion at our call today.

Because not all members of the list can read MS Word documents, I have
re-posted the contents of your attachment as an appendix to this e-mail
message below, so that it is available in text format. (We generally work
on drafts either in HTML or text formats.)

A few immediate comments:

- This provides helpful additional detail to complement the current draft
corporate implementation plan that we have been working on
	http://fit.gmd.de/~velasco/wai-eo/ipcorporate.xml
and appears to cover a broader range of centralized/decentralized businesses

- We should avoid the word "guidelines" here, I believe, given the risk of
confusion with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines themselves, and the
other accessibility guidelines

- Since Section 508 is a US-specific statute, which only applies to certain
kinds of organizations (federal agencies and state agencies), and the W3C
is international in focus, instead of direct references to Sec 508 I
suggest we use something like "and any applicable local requirements"

Again, thanks for giving us this draft for discussion.

Regards,

- Judy

At 07:24 PM 9/4/01 -0700, LIPKINA,NATASHA (HP-PaloAlto,ex1) wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>This is my first attempt to present brief guidelines for any big or small,
>centralized or flat organization to deploy accessibility standards
>companywide.
>
>In the future I can elaborate on it but it seems to me that it would be
>beneficial to have a list of things a company needs to do to accomplish the
>task.
>
>Looking forward to talking to you tomorrow and having your feedback.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Natasha Lipkina
>hp.com Platform Services
>SNF2/Accessibility/Compliance/IRIS
>Tel: 650-236-5409
>Telnet: 236-5409
>www.hp.com

[Contents of Natasha's attachment follow]

										DRAFT

Web Accessibility Project Implementation Plan Guidelines

1. Executive-level management acknowledges the need for compliance with the
508 section and w3c guidelines.
2. Company creates new policies that address web accessibility
3. Company's president and CEO send out a message to employees supporting
the policies and emphasize companies commitment to provide access to all
people including people with disabilities
4. CEO assigns an accessibility officer or a person responsible for
implementation of the project
5. An accessibility officer creates a team that has the following
responsibilities:

 Identify the scope of the project (will intranet, secure applications,
etc. will be included or not, will the company rollout 508 section
requirements company-wide including international sections, will the
company rollout this project in several phases?)
 Develop a company-wide rollout plan with the milestones and allocated
budget, necessary resources, and communicate it to the stake-holders
 Conduct PR activities outside and inside the company
 Develop and clarify web-accessibility policies
 Develop training materials and organize training
 Research, select, acquire and distribute the software that allows
evaluation and retrofitting of the site (link to the list of existing
software)
 Test the software before distribution, work with the vendor on
customization of the tool to accommodate company's specific design
requirements
 Retrofit company templates and stylesheets, test them on different
browsers and platform, conduct usability test with participation of
disabled people
 Clarify all policies related to the technical issues like pdf, flash,
java etc.
 Specify all testing requirements (browsers, usability tests etc.)
 An extended team includes representatives from each
 group/business/region/country, legal department representatives,
marketing department reps

Major milestones

- Evaluate current status of the web site
- Conduct executive-level briefings for business managers, get sponsorship
and buy-in
- Prioritize web sections to implement the project in several phases
- Develop plan with the milestones and resources and communicate to the
stakeholders
- Evaluated web accessibility tools and selected one;
- Retrofit templates
- Identify early adopters for testing the tool and templates
- Distribute a retrofitting tool
- Provide training for managers and web developers and post it on the
website (live and slides)
- Launch internal accessibility web site
- Set up help desk
- Establish forum of web-developers to discuss technical issues
-  Provided project management and tracking guidelines and tools
- Create status reports for the management (escalate when needed)
- Develop on-line self-assessment checklist to be submitted upon
retrofitting the site
- Develop a Database (application) that would allow to track compliance
- Summarize lessons learned from Phase 1 and make adjustments to the next
phases' plan
- Conduct compliance audit on a random basis
- Ensure that procurement department is aware of accessibility requirements
and that they are included into the legally binding contracts for
purchasing any software or applications
-

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)