FAQ re FRAMES

From: by way of Al Gilman <jo@bendingline.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:14:35 -0400
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Cc: Jo Miller <jo@bendingline.com>
[Jo has provided an excellent summary, here.  This is both an entry and
archtype for our collection of bona_fide FAQs.  To go with the recent null-ALT
thread, etc. The only quibble I would have is that the reference [where the
URL
shows in the surface text of the answer] should follow the short answer, not
precede it. One can debate about whether links inline in the answer text are a
good or bad idea.  -Al]

At 10:35 +0200 8/17/01, Russell.coates@centrica.co.uk wrote:

>1.Can you please explain how this checkpoint relates to 'Frames' as I'm a
>little unclear as to what the text equivalent should actually be, is it a
>frame 'title' or should you provide a completely different non-frames page
>with the same content?

Russell,

The Techniques for Web Content Accessibility page addresses the
subject of frames in more detail and provides code examples. See
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#frame-text-equivalent>http://www.w
3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#frame-text-equivalent
and
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#noframes>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG
10-HTML-TECHS/#noframes , which says, "links
to descriptions of a frame should be provided along with other
alternative content in the NOFRAMES element of a FRAMESET."

What you will need to put between your NOFRAMES tags to ensure access
for people whose user agents don't display frames will depend on the
content of your site. A set of navigational links that duplicates
your top (or side) navigation menu may suffice.

(And as you mention, frames and framesets must also be given
meaningful titles.)
--
Jo Miller
jo@bendingline.com