Fw: Building a business case for web accessibility

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonni Burnham" <Jonni.Burnham@tasc.dot.gov>
To: <sec508@trace.wisc.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 8:25 AM
Subject: RE: Building a business case for web accessibility

> I still think it's important for Fed's to listen instead of comment.
However, this is what I would do if a web developer told me it was too
expensive:
> Ask lots of questions! Go into the details:
> How much will it cost?
> Why do you believe that is too much?
> What specifically are those costs for?  - itemize labor per page
> For each item on that list, what is the basis for your cost estimate?
> What alternatives did you consider?
> Then I would start picking on the less expensive items and ask: What if
you did these things -- would that be too expensive? If so, why?
> If they still say doing anything is too expensive, then the web site must
not be worth much and why are they bothering having one?
> For each reason they come up with for having one, there must be some
value, and so that value can be enhanced (or diminished) by making the site
accessible to more (or fewer) people.

> When you challenge the conclusion that the cost is too much, and ask for
the details, usually one of two things happen:
> You get specific information that you can use to determine YOUR
alternatives (like, design an accessible web site for $25,000 vs. fix the
current one for $50,000); or,
> The designer realizes that you are going to pester them with questions
until you get what you want, and it takes less time to fix the compliance
problems than it does to answer your questions.