low literacy

From: Libby Cohen <lcohen@usm.maine.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:03:40 -0400
To: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Here's a suggestion for the low literacy section of the business case
document Andrew, I've slightly tweaked your wording. I hope that you
don't mind.
Support  Literacy Levels of Users
In every population (omit this introductory phrase?), there are
significant numbers of people who do not share the same levels of
literacy. Following the WCAG guidelines can support users who have low
literacy levels and those for whom the language of the Web site is not
their first.
Clear Navigation
Clear, consistent, and logical navigation enables users to predict and
organize the content to be read. Using enlarged or bold type in
headings, bullets, and outlines enable users to follow the organization
of the Web site.
Clarity
Clearly written content that uses simple, consistent language supports
varying literacy levels.
Non-text Elements
Simple grids, site maps, and other visuals facilitate reading.
Illustrations should be related to the text and placed near the text.
Reading Level
In addition to using various strategies that estimate reading levels,
ask individuals who have a variety of reading levels to evaluate the
readability of sites.