Re: http://www.ld.org & How PWD use the Web

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:09:55 +0100
To: "Ellen Hoffenberg-Serfaty" <serf@inter.net.il>, <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, "Chuck Letourneau" <cpl@starlingweb.com>
I am glad to find a response, and hope that we might widen the discussion,
the language problem is common enough to english.

As I understand it, in the UK:

SpLD refers to specific learning difficulties which include dyslexia(many
are of above average intelligence).

SLD or severe learning disability would include 'Downs' syndrome, and would
not be expected to have above average intelligence.
Many clients are unhappy with this label, and prefer learning difficulty(the
severe is not helpful).

These terms are very flexible, and are not universal at all.

jonathan chetwynd
IT teacher (LD)
j.chetwynd@btinternet.com
http://www.signbrowser.org.uk