Re: slightly off-topic: 2 types of search engine?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:43:07 -0500 (EST)
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
cc: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
For something where you give it a name and it goes and finds you a list of
links, I use the term "search engine". This is how I think of Google.

For a site where I get a list of choices that leads to a list of choices that
eventually leads to sites I use the term "portal". This is how I think of
Yahoo (although Yahoo's site also included a search engine last time I
looked).

cheers

Chaals