fwd: Re: Quick Tips, question

Am forwarding this w/ Gretchen's permission, and my comments interspersed
below.

>From: "Gretchen Lowerison" <gretchen@hwg.org>
>To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:39:54 -0500
>Subject: Re: Quick Tips, question
>
>I prefer the card with the "the" and "element" included.  The reason
>is that although the purpose of the card is to serve as an
>educational tool for those who wish to apply the WAI standard we
>cannot assume that these people will be familiar enough with coding
>to immediately recognise noframes and map as elements.
>
>I realise that there are people groaning now ;-)

There may be some groans but I think it's worth it to think this thing
through clearly.

>Pretend that you are only somewhat familiar with HTML.  Now read the
>card.
>
>Frames.  Use noframes and meaningful titles.
>
>Does this mean that we should not use frames?
>(yes, more groaning!)

Good point -- noframes could be read as a typo, and if it were considered a
typo, the implications would be pretty bad: it would be misinterpreted to
mean that we are against the use of any frames, which is not the case. I
think this is a very important point.

>By saying use the noframes element it is clear beyond doubt.

Right.