Re: PDF to HTML

From: ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:41:09 -0400
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Cc: <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
[This is a FAQ, well answered.  - Al]

The conversion tools work, if the document is prepared properly, which pretty
much requires the prior intent to produce an accessible electronic version.
It's certainly possible, but in my experience in this agency, I've never
seen a
document of more than two pages that I would trust to work properly. I don't
know about "letter-of-the-law", but in "good faith" and in the "spirit" of the
law, I wouldn't offer this as a solution.

Theoretically, with a properly prepared document, and after careful
testing, it
should be fine, but practice isn't theory.

>>> Laurie Davis-Covin <ldavisco@nist.gov> 05/03/01 08:10am >>>
What is the consensus on the Adobe Acrobat tools for conversion from pdf to
html?

My question is in reference to a book of around 400 pages, not ALL
documents.  Can we in good faith and "letter-of-the-law 508 accessibility"
offer them to our visually-impaired users?

<http://access.adobe.com/access_plugin.html>http://access.adobe.com/access_
plugin.html

<http://access.adobe.com:8088/ads-cgi/convert.pl>http://access.adobe.com:80
88/ads-cgi/convert.pl