Re: Company Accessibility Policies

>Within the commercial sector they play an important role in allowing
competing
>companies (like banks) to meet to discuss common issues without the risk
>breeching the Trade Practices legislation the outlaws collusion between
>competitors which would affect the operation of a free market.

This part sounds like the role of an industry consortium, under US law, and
among international industry.

Other parts of your description sound like professional associations (e.g.
associations of lawyers), and yet other parts like what we might just call
national associations in the US (e.g. associations of people with
disabilities) or international associations as the case may be.

- Judy

At 01:25 PM 4/11/01 +1100, Brian_Hardy@visionaustralia.org.au wrote:

>Kathleen
>
>Isn't it wonderful to be separated by a common language.
>
>Peak bodies in Australia are associations of industries or groups, generally
>established for the purposes of developing common standards, or processes or
>taking action which is common to all members or lobbying government or
promoting
>the interests of the members.
>
>So they include groups like the one's Andrew has sent you, but there are
>hundreds across Australia, wherever people have a common interest. They
include
>peak bodies of people with disabilities, trade unions, employers, legal
centres,
>doctors, accountants and so on.
>
>Within the commercial sector they play an important role in allowing
competing
>companies (like banks) to meet to discuss common issues without the risk
>breeching the Trade Practices legislation the outlaws collusion between
>competitors which would affect the operation of a free market.
>
>I hope that helps
>
>Regartds
>Brian Hardy
>Vision Australia Foundation
>

>|--------+----------------------------->
>|        |          "Kathleen Anderson"|
>|        |          <kathleen@spiderweb|
>|        |          woman.com>         |
>|        |                             |
>|        |          11/04/01 09:58 AM  |
>|        |          Please respond to  |
>|        |          "Kathleen Anderson"|
>|        |                             |
>|--------+----------------------------->
>  >-----------------------------------------------------------|
>  |                                                           |
>  |       To:     Andrew Arch@AFTB, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org         |
>  |       cc:     (bcc: Brian Hardy/Kooyong/AFTB)             |
>  |       Subject:     Re: Company Accessibility Policies     |
>

>Andrew:
>I'll take a look at the sites, but, at the risk of being "hemispheric", what
>is a Peak body?  :-)
>
>~ Kathleen Anderson
>Spider Web Woman Designs
>http://www.spiderwebwoman.com