Aside re sounds

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 06:50:16 -0800
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
http://slow3.w3.org/WAI.old/wcag-curric/sam115-0.htm contains an animation
of some shaking hands and an icon of a loudspeaker that invokes a sound
file that speaks "let's shake on it". The behavior of some browsers is
interesting:

Opera 4.02, after loading the .wav file simply speaks the .wav file and is
left "in limbo" in that the status bar doesn't show a URI!
IE 5.5 displays a typical sound player which (after loading the file)
requires the user to press "start" to play the phrase and "close" of the
player before continuing.
NS 6.3 puts up a box that requires checking in order to load the player
which starts itself, plays the phrase and then must be closed.

If they all behaved like Opera it would be more "natural".

Of course others' results may vary because I have something different about
my "native" sound player, which will play layer 3 MP3 .wav files without
intervention.

Until CSS "aural style sheets" function is widely implemented, our avenues
for including sonic enhancement are going to be "spotty", but we should
still work on it because such features are very powerful for both education
and outreach.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE