Re: WAI HOME PAGE REDRAFT

At 02:08 PM 8/24/00 -0500, geoff freed wrote:

>Speaking as perhaps the lone Mac user, I have just a few comments:
>
>1.  In a rare instance of cooperation, both IE 5 and Netscape Communicator
4.7
>behaved nearly identically when showing the new WAI pages.
>That's not a complaint.  Really.

JB: Thanks for checking on the Mac.

>2.  >"it is not a fancy redesign..."
>YAY!  I think its design is, on the whole, just fine and would urge
>you not to do much more to dress it up.

JB: I was thinking of later. Much later...

>Having said that...
>I'm not wild about the light yellow background color or the darker yellow
>boxes behind the headers.  They make me squint and, believe it or not, I
find
>that I read much more slowly on pages with bright colors.
>Personally, I prefer white as a background.

JB: Fascinating. In the browsers I've tried it in, it has a very faint
egg-shell color background -- just enough to take the edge off of the white
-- and then a really dull mustard behind the H2's. Nothing bright about it
at all, except maybe the light green navbar. I'll chase down a Mac and have
a look. Another argument for browser-safe, although I've heard that even
those colors aren't so reliable.

>3.  Uh... allow me to refute #1:  the bullets appear as solid dots in IE
and clear
>dots in Netscape.  ??  Checking on a PC, it appears the intention is to
>use solid dots, which I prefer.

JB: Yes, my intention was solid dots, and I get the hollow ones in NS as
well. Actually I'd like to get away from the darned dots, but I don't want
to start throwing a bunch of images on the page unnecessarily.

>4.  On the Home page, the "questions about site?" link is a direct mailto
link.
>Don't forget to include the e-mail address in the text.

JB: In real life, this will probably go to a section of the "About WAI"
page, which will have room to spell out these things.

>5.  I also tested it with Home Page Reader and had no problems.

JB: Thanks!

- Judy