re: Non-geek version of guidelines - Reply

From: Julie Howell <JHOWELL@rnib.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:58:33 +0000
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Hello Alan and everyone,

I agree with this point.  Many UK Web designers know nothing about HTML.
They use point-and-click design tools, and don't know an ahref from a mailto.

To give them a hand, we produced a simple factsheet 'hints on designing
accessible web sites'.  This has proved to be extremely popular.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/digital/hints.htm

The factsheet features a number of WAI and RNIB print legibility
recommendations.

It is not intended to replace WCAG or even to be an overview of them.  It is
simply a gentle introduction that aims to show that accessible design is simple
and achievable.

I welcome any 'non-geek' guidelines.

Best wishes
Julie Howell
Campaigns Officer (Access to Digital Information)
Royal National Institute for the Blind
Jhowell@rnib.org.uk
Tel. +44 0207 391 2191
Fax. +44 0207 391 2104

1.7 million people in the UK experience a serious sight problem or blindness.
Poor Web design prevents many disabled people from getting the most from
the Web. Support our campaign for better Web design!
http://www.rnib.org.uk/digital