RE: Review of Web Site Accessibility -- Planning

From: Laurence Bergman <laurenceb@wecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:45:29 -0400
To: "'Harvey Bingham'" <hbingham@acm.org>, <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
I have independently been drafting a Web site accessibility rating algorithm
stemming from the work that Jakob Lindenmeyer and Reto Ambühler had
presented at last year's WWW8 conference.  I am not developing it with
accessibility defined on a single scale though, such as 0-100, but rather in
five different "spheres."
These include:
Vision
Hearing
Mobility
Learning
Cognitive

I am trying to derive whether sites are particularly biased against one
modality, or is it generalised.  For instance, does a site with AA
conformance but lacking graphical cues also benefit a person with a learning
impairment?  Would a rating system  similar to what Zagat's restaurant
guides does, where different facets of the experience are evaluated, be
useful when coupled with search engine results? Once I have a more suitable
baseline, I will forward additional information.

Sincerely,

Laurence Bergman
Director of Product Development
We Media Inc.