RE: Comments on User Agent Guidelines

From: Alan Cantor <acantor@interlog.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:04:43 -0500
To: "Judy Brewer" <jbrewer@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Thanks Alan,

I am sharing these with the EOWG list since we said we'd be rolling this
into our comments; I think that was your intention?

- Judy

Yes, it was.

Two other points:

There should be clearer reference for the need for logical tab order
(generally top to bottom, left to right) when navigating through a user
agent screen by keyboard.

How about something about ensuring that focus indicator is visible AND
conspicuous at all times? The lack of conspicuous focus indicator is a big
barrier for people who are sighted and who rely on keyboard-only access. If
the operating system does not provide it, then the user agent should. (Two
examples of exemplary focus indicators: Opera highlights the hypertext links
in focus. The default keyboard shortcut in Windows 95/98/NT for task
switching is Alt + Tab. This pops a window showing tasks, the one with focus
surrounded by a well-defined blue box.

Alan