Re: Braille on the QuickTips card?

From: Alan Cantor <acantor@oise.utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:02:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI Education & Outreach Working Group <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Allow me to emerge, for just a minute, from my insane schedule (and my
consequent inability to participate much in EO activities as of late) to
suggest this:

First, yes, yes, yes to Braille on the Quick Tip card.

Second, there is a simple way to squeeze the URL in Braille on the card:
State the URL as:

w3c.org/wai

Of course, this is not the "accepted" way to express a URL, especially
amongst the more computer-savvy amongst us. But this format works on every
browser I have ever tried, including Lynx.

Now, let me gaze into my crystal ball... I predict that in the near future
this format WILL emerge as the "normal" way to express a URL. The tide
will turn as more and more people discover that the abbreviated format
usually works. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, for example, now
promotes its web site as cbc.ca. Personally, I rarely type "www" when
entering a web address, and I have not typed "http://" in months.

Alan