RE: make Macromedia Flash Accessible

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
To: Kenneth Cline <kcline@redmon.com>
cc: "'Neff, Robert'" <Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov>, "WAI - EO (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, ddenmon@lighthouse.org
Followed up on the gl list

Charles McCN

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Kenneth Cline wrote:

  Rob:

  I don't think I explained the possibilities correctly.  We can use this
  technique in conjunction with the javascript code to detect whether or not
  they have flash installed, and show the generated gif as the alternate
  image.  This will:

  - allow those who have flash installed to see the zoomable flash version
  - allow those who don't (or don't want to install it) to see the actual map.
  This would also support special needs, as the alt tag would carry through.

  -Ken