Re: Comments on SMIL note

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:50:20 -0400
To: Geoff Freed <Geoff_Freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, WAI-EO <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, Madeleine Rothberg <Madeleine_Rothberg@wgbh.org>, ij@w3.org, marja@w3.org
Geoff Freed wrote:

Thank you for the comments Geoff! I've deleted your
comments that I agree with and expect to incorporate.

> Everywhere:
> It would be very helpful to somehow offset elements and attributes (A, ANCHOR, SYSTEM-CAPTIONS, etc.) from the normal text of this document.  Capitals?

Since this is XML, we probably shouldn't use uppercase.
We'll look into a different highlight mechanism.

> (note:  SMIL 1.0 does not provide attributes for this video-pause feature.  however, i've discovered that it is possible to fake video pauses by sequentially playing parallel groups of video and audio.  this work-around is not ideal; if you want to see how it's done, let me know.)

Sure! How do you do it?

[On captions/subtitles]
> This is a really philosophical problem more than a technical one.  I would prefer that we not recommend that multimedia authors feel free to use the same text file for both captions and subtitles, but I could be persuaded that, rather than recommending that authors always provide two separate caption and subtitle files, a single *caption* file should be created and used for both purposes.  I would rather risk annoying the hearing audience than shutting out the deaf audience.

I agree and thought the document was clear on that point. We can clarify
further.

> Section 4.1:
> It looks like you're recommending that authors use SYSTEM-CAPTONS to turn on >text links corresponding to a video map.  Aren't you just supposed to use this >element for captions only?

Good catch. I'll have to talk this over with Marja.

> Section 7:
> This should be an ordered list, no?

We intend to improve this index.

Thank you again,

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814