Re: Fw: Checkpoint 3.3

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:52:11 -0700
To: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Cc: Robert Neff <robneff@home.com>, IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 07:03 AM 7/17/1999 , David Poehlman wrote:
>we must look at the total picture here.  the guidelines and
>checkpoints serve as guides.

The problem as I see it is that they are not being adopted
as "guides" but rather as "requirements"; the helpful
checkpoints that can be figured out by anyone with just a
smidgen of common sense can be easily twisted into firm,
hard checkpoints that MUST be satisfied in order to achieve
a "Double-AA compliance" rating.

This is a big problem -- the Single-A, Double-AA, Triple-AAA
system does not have a caveat saying "you can still achieve
Double-AA rating if you do almost everything and use common
sense in what you do and don't choose to do."