Re: Fw: Checkpoint 3.3

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:21:46 -0700
To: Robert Neff <robneff@home.com>
CC: wai-gl <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
I've been following this thread from the sidelines but now I will jump
in.  It is possible that CSS is the most fundamentally important part of
this entire undertaking because the separation of "content", "structure"
and "presentation" is vital to almost all aspects of accessibility.

				*HOWEVER*

The "until User Agents comply" problem makes Rob's points significant.
If we make a 20 mph speed limit that almost everybody ignores, the full
implementation of this stuff will be jeopardized.  I suggest an erratum
for checkpoint 3.3 that includes "amnesty" for otherwise conformant
sites - until User Agents comply - but strongly "denounce" the
distribution of browsers that don't treat CSS well.  There are hundreds
of millions of Websites and probably less than a hundred browsers. It is
a bit Draconian to put P2 (and AA conformance) on something that will be
a while coming online without somehow acknowledging that you're not a
cannot agree however that nobody knows what "deprecate" means.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE