From: Wendy A Chisholm [mailto:chisholm@trace.wisc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 9:48 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Checkpoint 3.3

Let's look at three checkpoints together:

3.3 Use style sheets to control layout and presentation. [Priority 2]
5.3 Do not use tables for layout unless the table makes sense when
linearized. Otherwise, if the table does not make sense, provide an
alternative equivalent (which may be a linearized version). [Priority 2]
                   Note. Once user agents support style sheet positioning,
tables should not be used for layout.
                   Refer also to checkpoint 3.3.
5.4 If a table is used for layout, do not use any structural markup for the
purpose of visual formatting.  [Priority 2]

3.3 should have a note that says, refer to 5.3 so that it is more obvious
that we are saying tables are all right to use until style sheets are more
widely supported.  Perhaps an "until user agents" clause would also be
appropriate, not sure.

Despite that this is not highlighted, it DOES say that tables may be used
for layout until style sheets are more widely supported.

Here at the Trace Center, we also have been working to redesign our site so
that it is more hip as well as follows all of the guidelines (as well as
creating examples as the guidelines have developed).  There are many
interesting issues with style sheets, but as Jason said, they do transform
gracefully.  We also get *many* hits from Netscape 2 browsers - last month
we had over 16,000. so we are constantly testing with a *wide* variety of
browsers on a variety of platforms (side note:  it's amazing how different
the implementation is of a single product for Windows versus Macintosh!
not only in display but features as well!!)

Today, it seems that the best option is to use browser sniffing and serve a
style sheet based on browser type - if you want to use the CSS2 layout
features.  Although, the number of authors who know JavaScript is probably
less than those familiar with Style Sheets.  HOWEVER, the script is very
easy to personalize for a site and we could write up a set of instructions
for its use (cut, paste, edit the x, y, z variables, and post to your site).

We have found that style sheets work best on the extreme ends of the
spectrum.  for example, they transform great for 2.0, 4.0, and text-based
browsers, and not so great for the 3.0 browsers - but we've made it work
(there are several tricks to use).  We have not run across a situation
(that I can remember) where the use of a style sheet has ever made
something unusable, only not as perfect to look at.  for example, we wanted
to use a list with a background color.  It worked perfectly in IEx, but
there was a white border in netscape 4.  This is a designer's nightmare
because they aren't able to force the same design on everyone, but it is
still accessible, usable, and most likely the user has seen it on other
pages using similar techniques.

There have been issues with turning off style sheets in IE, but I believe
we've found work arounds for those as well.

Robert, perhaps part of your education and outreach should include "how to
use style sheets that transform gracefully."  It sounds like you are
dealing with several issues (as we all are):
1.  Authors want their legacy pages to be AA compliant without much work
(lots of tables for layout).
2.  Authors don't have time to learn the newest technologies and the tools
aren't helping them.
3.  Older browsers are still widely used and they don't support the latest
technologies.
4.  Designers are unable to accept that they can not "force" their view of
the information onto everyone.

Looking at these issues in more detail:
1. - We say that tables are all right.  The working group was very aware of
legacy pages and the extensive use of tables.  We just strongly suggest
that you move to style sheets when the time is right for your organization.

2. - Not much we can do other than give lots of examples, point them to
tools that do work, and hope for the best.

3. -  As I said before, people with older browser are probably used to
seeing things "broken."  The guidelines are meant to help *guide* designers
and authors to use techniques that will allow pages to be usable and
accessible on older browsers.  We don't guarantee that they will look as
pretty, but how can they when they don't have the same features as the
newer browsers?

4. - Designers will have to let go of the need to make pages look the same
in every viewer.  I attended a keynote "conversation" at Web99 between Don
Norman and Jakob Nielsen a couple weeks ago.  They were trying to get this
idea across.  Especially as people begin accessing the Internet with all
types of appliances, many of which either do not have a visual display or a
very small one.

I also believe a certain amount of education and outreach needs to be
directed at users (to let them know that better tools are available) and to
browser developers.  I am happy to see some of the campaigns that have
sprung up asking browser developers to follow specifications.  Authors are
getting fed up, as well they should.  Web documents were supposed to be
portable, but the browsers have broken that.  I anxiously await the
implementations of the UA and AU guidelines as well.  We can't ask content
authors and designers to do all the work, it needs to be a joint effort.
Many things are broken, let's try to get them fixed.  (that's the naive
idealist speaking - here to change the world! <grin>)

I'm not sure if this helps at all.  It is clear that the working group
needs to make our assumptions clear, to interpret some of the abiguities,
and to continue fleshing out examples in the techqniques document.  This is
the work that lies ahead, I hope everyone is ready to participate!

--wendy