disparity in quicktips and guidelines?

From: Robert Neff <robneff@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:01:23 -0700
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Do i see a disparity between the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Quicktips?

WCAG 1.5 states, "Until user agents render text equivalents for client-side image map links, provide redundant text links for each active region of a client-side image map. [Priority 3] "

Hmmm, why are image maps Priority 3?  When I turn graphics off, all i see is the main alt tag for the graphic.  Since text links are required, I would have thought a develpoer must require text links for image maps and therefore would be Priority 1.

Quicktips state "Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text for hotspots."  Shouldnt we add text redundant links?  I was using this for a while and then re-realized that text links are needed - turn off graphics!

comments?

once we are finished reviwing this comment, can pass over to the GL.