RE: waicard9 - CSS

A justification:

The use of CSS, in compliance with both the rest of the quicktips and the
full Guidelines, which requires that information is structured
independently of any declaration of presentation, does not cause any
problems for a 1.x browser. The use of HTML 3.2 presentational mark-up and
mark-up (ab)used for presentation does cause problems in such browsers.

The proper use of CSS in websites, instead of the current mish-mash of
markup, would be a Good Thing (TM) for accessibility. I share with many
people an expectation that websites will migrate to doing this, and some
surprise and dismay that the implementation of this has taken so long. If
a CIO or manager reads this and says 'use CSS' (The Government of
Victoria, Australia did just that in the requirements for the Health
Department website, and I believe that the Australian Federal Government
is following suit) in enough places it will stimulate demand for
CSS-compliant browsers, which will stimulate the use of CSS in a positive
feedback loop.

And I am not convinced that CSS makes a designer's job harder, once they
have learned how to use it. Learning how to do things right is, in my
humble opinion, part of a designer's job, not an added extra burden.

my 2c worth

Charles McCathieNevile

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Neff, Robert wrote:
  >7. Page Organization Use headings, lists, and consistent structure. Use CSS
  >for layout and style.
  ROB> I still disagree with the statement, "Use CSS for layout and style."

  Justification:  Why?  How are designers in the trenches going to understand
  this?  Their audience may be HTML 3.2.  We are seeing browser versions 1.x
  and 2.x .  I am curious how you can tell someone who has to be in compliance
  with ADA and Rehab Act Section 508, and has to design for multiple browsers
  and versions, that they must use CSS.  I think it is wrong to say "Use CSS
  for layout and style" .  Imagine if a Federal Manager or CIO reads this and
  tells their web service that they must use CSS because it is on the
  QUICKTIPS!  Please do not make our jobs any more difficult.

  Suggest we say, "For layout and style, recommend CSS or accessible HTML"