Re: Next!

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Judy Brewer wrote:

> I like this. Other reactions?

Me too.

The card, in whatever guise it eventually takes, is such a cool idea... it
seems to grab people's attention, sort of like the Volkswagen Beetle! I
was thinking about the feedback to the card that we discussed today, and
began to wonder whether the importance of the card lies, principally, in
its novelty value. It is important more because it is a gimmick than
because it is practical to use.

Even the reaction that it is too small may be a good thing. People are
noticing it, and I bet they will remember it. (To push the VW analogy a
little further, the original Beetle was small, rust-prone, and unsafe, but
admired nonetheless.) Having bookmarks, brochures, cheat sheets, HTML
versions, Brailled versions, or whatever that contain the same information
are just there to reinforce the message. Hopefully, people will carry the
card in their wallets, show it to their friends, marvel at its
compactness, etc., and if we're lucky, when they need information about an
accessible web, they will refer to the card or one of its "spin-offs."

Alan