Re: refcard

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:52:08 +0200
To: Alan Cantor <acantor@oise.utoronto.ca>
cc: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org

> Two questions for the more HTML-savvy members of our group:
>
> 1. What makes a table "complex?" Or, when is a table "complex?" I don't
>    understand the point. A "simple" two-column table is often impossible
>    to decipher for a screen reader user.

We discussed complexity of table on the Guidelines list but never
reached a real conclusion.
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1998JanMar/0213.html

The issue is the following: how we draw the line between work the
author has to do vs. work the browser can do.

For tables, I personally think putting it all on the author's hand is
too much asking and that user agents can easily make simple tables
accessible (look at lynx for the level 0 support: ignore the table
markup and print out the content as is).

> 2. Which browsers support "header and cell scope information?" And
>    where can I read up on this subject?

None at that point I think.

You can read about that in the HTML4 spec
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#h-11.4

or in the WAI HTML Access paper
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/HTML4-access