Re: Chicago Library complaint (fwd)

From: Robert Neff <rneff@moon.jic.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:40:19 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Cc: "Robert (Work) Neff" <rcn@fenix2.dol-esa.gov>
I am origianlly from a mid-size rural Ohio town.  I was home this weekend
and took my mom to the library.  We registered and sat down at the computer
terminal and up popped a web browser that I have never seen.  It took me a
couple of minutes to figure it out and I was not impressed.  I asked the
librarian if they have any terminals that are accessible for PWDs.  He
replied, they have one that uses keyboard commands.  I asked if there are
speakers for people where blind users can listen.  He replied, no.

I then proceeded to explain the obstacles that PWD face on the web.   I
showed him several sites and the WAI page and he printed them.

My mom mentioned the library director goes to our church.  So on Sunday mom
pointed him out and I spoke to him.  He asked what he needed and we spoke
some more.  But it was not an in-depth converstaion because he was ambused
in church and really could not comprehend the scope in a quick conversation,
but at least the seed is there.

This story highlights the problem in middle america and other countries.  We
or someone needs to map all the libraries in the USA and coordinate and
awareness and literature or whatever else.  We have to outreach to them.
This outreach lends itself to other organizations such as city and county
governments and chambers of commerce.

The EO may not be the forum for this effort, but how could we help this
effort along.  Dave Poehlman had some good ideas and he can sign on and
discuss.

thanks, rob