Re: Court ruling

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:30:02 -0400
To: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@naw.org>, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Hi B.K.,

That was me, citing US DOJ OCR _opinion_, Sept 1996, ADA Title II and Title
III entities need to have their Web sites accessible, not a court ruling,
listed in National Disability Law Reporter Sept 1997 issue.  ADA itself
passed in 1990 and so pre-dates Web.

Policy area of EOWG to be organized & available in draft within the next 2
weeks or so, in the meantime can go to WAI Interest Group archive linked
from http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG and look for mail from Jan-March 1998 sent by
Cynthia Waddell, which lists & discusses the ruling.  Or I'll send a better
pointer later this weekend.

- Judy

At 08:10 PM 8/14/98 -0400, B.K. DeLong wrote:
>I'm afraid I started an interesting thread on the Computer Book Publishing
>listserve and the subject of the ADA mandating Web sites be accessible has
>come up.
>
>I remember someone talking about a court ruling where the judge found that
>an organization must make their Web site accessible. Can anyone cite the
>case for me??
>--
>B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
>Director                         Suite 140SC-305
>New England Chapter     Boston, MA 02115
>National Association      (617) 247-3753
>of Webmasters
>

>http://www.naw.org
>bkdelong@naw.org
>
>NAW is the North American "chapter"
>of the World Organization of Webmasters
>
>http://www.world-webmasters.org/

Judy Brewer   jbrewer@w3.org     617-258-9741
Director, Web Accessibility Initiative International Program Office
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
MIT/LCS Room NE43-355
545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139 USA
http://www.w3.org/WAI