Re: Policy references

Thanks Daniel.  I may move these documents around a bit so let's not
consider the URL's final but good to have the documents at hand.

- Judy

At 01:59 PM 6/10/98 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>> In Europe, different countries have different levels of requirements, and
>> there is no EU-wide requirement yet?
>

>The Amsterdam treaty contains a new Article (6a) and a Declaration
>(22) on people with disabilities.
>
>==== extract:
>
>TREATY OF AMSTERDAM (Oct 97) AMENDING THE TREATY ON EUROPEAN UNION,
>THE TREATIES ESTABLISHING THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES AND CERTAIN RELATED
>ACTS.
>
>The following Article shall be inserted: "Article 6a".
>
> Without prejudice to the other provisions of this Treaty and within
> the limits of the powers conferred by it upon the Community, the
> Council, acting unanimously on a proposal from the Commission and
> after consulting the European Parliament, may take appropriate action
> to combat discrimination based on sex, racial or ethnic origin,
> religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.'
>

>Declaration 22 regarding persons with a disability.
>
> The Conference agrees that, in drawing up measures under Article 100a
> of the Treaty establishing the European Community, the institutions
> of the Community shall take account of the needs of persons with a
> disability.
>
>====
>
>Full text of the Amsterdam treaty in PDF is available at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/EuropAmst.pdf
>

>I also have received from the European Commission a document entitled:
> LEGAL AND ECONOMIC FACTORS
> IMPACTING REHABILITATION TECHNOLOGY AVAILABILITY
> Horizontal European Activities in Rehabilitation Technology
> (HEART TIDE study 309 - Aug 93)
>

>I'll attach the Executive Summary and the list of countries reviewed.
>
>==== extract
>
>The following report examines the national legislation existing in
>eleven European countries - eight European Community Member States and
>three European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries - and
>identifies the legislative measures which do, directly or indirectly,
>affect the rehabilitation technology market.This report was completed
>in August 1993 and thus does not take account of more recent
>legislation.
>

>The report does not set out to provide a comprehensive picture of all
>existing legislation, regulations, guidelines or voluntary codes of
>practice in each country. It does, however, focus on the principal
>laws and regulations within certain areas of activity, such as working
>life, where they exist and highlights the areas where there is no
>statutory provision of technical aids. Neither does the report analyse
>the effectiveness of the legislation in each country as this will be
>the subject of the second report.
>
>====
>
>Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, The
>Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, The United Kingdom
>
>For each, it goes over
> Introduction
> Legal and administrative framework
> Legislation related to rehabilitation technology
> [...]
Judy Brewer   jbrewer@w3.org     617-258-9741
Director, Web Accessibility Initiative International Program Office
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
MIT/LCS Room NE43-355
545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139 USA
http://www.w3.org/WAI