Re: Policy references

From: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:51:01 -0400
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
At 10/06/98 12:49 AM -0400, Judy Brewer wrote:

>In Canada, what are the relevant laws, regs, policies?

In Canada, the overarching legal framework is contained in the Canadian Human
Rights Act.  It has (very) recently been amended to include the concept of
"reasonable accommodation".  To my knowledge, it has not been tested yet in a
court.  I will dig up the relevant sections and post them here later today.

There are no government policies (either federal or provincial) corresponding
the rehab act.  Government does not have to take accessibility into account
during procurement.  We have been trying to get that on the Federal agenda for
some time now.

Canada does not have an equivalent to the ADA although  there has been some
talk about getting something going.

Many Canadian laws have recently been amended to increase their "disability
friendliness". None of these have any relationship to access to technology or
information or accommodation.

The Federal government is beginning a review of its internal policies relating
to employees with disabilities.

Regards,
Chuck Letourneau
----