ATAG2 A.3.3.1 related to auto-play and pause

From: Richards, Jan <jrichards@ocadu.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 19:30:55 +0000
To: AUWG <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Hi Alex,

Since B.2.3.2 is now split out into a different thread, I didn't want to lose this one. My last comment is labelled "JR2".

Q: A.3.3.1:

Alex suggests: For authoring tool that plays visual time-based content, one of the following is true:

a) The visual time-based content does not play automatically

b) The visual time-based content can be set to not play automatically

c) The visual time-based content can be paused

JR: I'd prefer not to have Pause OR auto-play, but I can see you are trying to remove the requirement for a setting, so how about (I've also removed "render" since it is implied by play)?:

A.3.3.1 Static View Option: If an editing-view can play visual time-based content, then playing is not necessarily automatic upon loading the content and OR playing can be paused. (Level A) AL: I prefer my proposal because the proposal seems far more straight forward.  But that's editorial.  I'm fine either way as long as the "and" is replaced with an "or".

JR2: Since the point here is to help people with photosensitive epilepsy...and since the author may not know that a video includes flashing until it plays (e.g. because they are opening content started by someone else), I think the most important part of the requirement is the pause feature.