RE: Survey for AUWG for 27 May (in place of meeting)

Hi Alex,

My comments inline marked JR2. (I've also removed the stuff that has been agreed on).

From: Alex Li [mailto:alli@microsoft.com]
Sent: May-24-13 1:15 PM
To: Richards, Jan; AUWG
Subject: RE: Survey for AUWG for 27 May (in place of meeting)

Inline below.

From: Richards, Jan [mailto:jrichards@ocadu.ca]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:26 AM
To: AUWG

---

Q: A.3.3.1:

Alex suggests: For authoring tool that plays visual time-based content, one of the following is true:

a) The visual time-based content does not play automatically

b) The visual time-based content can be set to not play automatically

c) The visual time-based content can be paused

JR: I'd prefer not to have Pause OR auto-play, but I can see you are trying to remove the requirement for a setting, so how about (I've also removed "render" since it is implied by play)?:

A.3.3.1 Static View Option: If an editing-view can play visual time-based content, then playing is not necessarily automatic upon loading the content and OR playing can be paused. (Level A) AL: I prefer my proposal because the proposal seems far more straight forward.  But that's editorial.  I'm fine either way as long as the "and" is replaced with an "or".

JR2: Since the point here is to help people with photosensitive epilepsy...and since the author may not know that a video includes flashing until it plays (e.g. because they are opening content started by someone else), I think the most important part of the requirement is the pause feature.

---

Q: B.2.3.2

Alex: When did we add "semi-automatically" in the SC text? What does that mean? Is that testable? I'm okay with the rest.

JR: It was always there and is a define term (http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2012/ED-IMPLEMENTING-ATAG20-20120924/#def-Semi-Automated-Checking) - though a link is MISSIING in the document - that basically means that a person's judgement is required. For example, showing a alt field in an image insertion dialog filled with "Image" would be a failing semi-automated repair. Not showing the field and simply putting "Image" into the markup would be a failing fully automated repair.

AL: the term "semi-automatic" was not in B.2.3.2, at least not in the last public draft.  If it was added later on, I have no memory of it.  Also, the definition is about checking, but the context here is about suggesting alt-text.  That's not checking.  Even at the practical level, how does an authoring tool semi-automatically make a suggestion?  Are you saying that the author would do something like ask the authoring tool to make a suggestion of alt-text instead of having one suggested by default?  I guess that is theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.

JR2: I'm looking into where this changed and why...

---

Cheers,

Jan

(MR) JAN RICHARDS