FW: Response to your comments on Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0

Hi all,

My discussion with Gregg fell off the list, so I'm putting it back on...(plus I'm adding Loretta)

For clarity, I'll treat Part A and B separately...

Part A (accessibility of the tool to authors):
I see that "accessibility supported" is easier to apply to Part A than to Part B (as explained in previous posts). But is still complicated by the fact that there are at least two classes of web-based tools while some Web-based tools are  installed on the web by the developer in known places (Facebook, Google Docs, etc.)others are *not installed on the web by the developer* (TinyMCE, CKedit, etc.) but instead are installed by customers  into environments unknown to the developer.

Part B (support for accessible content authoring):
You said "for the output -- it just needs to be CAPABLE OF CREATING WCAG conformant output.  right?  "

That's close, but we can't just say that because *almost* any tool is capable of creating empty documents and empty documents in any technology tend to be accessible.

So, instead we reference WCAG2 with respect to things like:

-          Automatically generated content (B.1.1)

-          Restructuring and recoding content (B.1.2)

-          Restrictions placed on authors (B.2.1)

-          Templates provided (B.2.4)

-          Checking and Repair (B.3)

But getting back to your statement "capable of creating conformant content"...are you suggesting that for Part B, ATAG 2.0 might use the term "conform", but allow authoring tools to pick the most preferential user agent and AT context (since they are capable of conforming under those conditions)?

Cheers,
Jan

--
(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.