AUWG Action: break A.2.1.1 Alternative Content up like wcag into text-based vs time based

From: Richards, Jan <jrichards@ocad.ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 18:19:02 -0500
To: AUWG <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Hi all,

I took an action on Dec 20 to propose how we might break A.2.1.1 up in a way that is similar to WCAG 2.0's 1.1 (Text Alternatives) and 1.2 (Time-based Media):

Proposal:

A.2.1.1 Text Alternatives for Rendered Non-Text Content: If an *editing-view* *renders* *non-text content* with *programmatically associated* *text alternatives*, then the text alternatives can be *programmatically determined*. (Level A)

A.2.1.X Alternatives for Rendered Time-Based Media: If an *editing-view* *renders* time-based media, then at least one of the following is true: (Level A)
(a) alternatives rendered: alternatives for the time-based content are also rendered; or
(b) user agent option: the author has the option to have the content being edited *previewed* in a pre-existing *user agent*.

Ed. Note: WCAG2 does not define time-based media. I've taken a shot but I haven't come up with anything more clear than the term itself

Ed. Note2: The reason for (b) in A.2.1.X is that the alternative might be in a media the authoring tool doesn't ever render. (e.g., an audio editor might not have the capability to render a video alternative)

jrichards@ocad.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844
Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC) | http://inclusivedesign.ca/
Faculty of Design | OCAD University