RE: ATAG2 proposal re: at least as prominent

Rewording around "visible" statement:

At least as prominent:
For purposes of conformance to ATAG 2.0, a *user interface component* A is considered to be "at least as prominent" as a component B, if at least one of the following is true:
*(a) same container:* both components occur in the same container (e.g. list, pop-up menu, sub-menu, toolbar, dialog box, web page, etc.); or
*(b) same or less "opening" actions:* component A, or its container (e.g. list, pop-up menu, sub-menu, toolbar, dialog box, web page, etc.), becomes visible with less than or equal the number of "opening" actions required for component B (or its container) to become visible. Opening actions are user interface actions (e.g., keyboard selections, mouse clicks, etc.) that result in components, or component containers, becoming visible (e.g. opening a menu, opening a dialog box, etc.). Other actions are not counted (e.g., pressing tab to move focus).
Note: The term "visible" refers to what can be seen on the screen or what is available without an opening action.

Ed. Notes:
(a) so it is sufficient for the accessible templates (etc.) to be in the same list as the others. They don't need to be list first in the list because there are other relevant sort criteria, such as the type of template, author, save date etc.
(b) This is intended to cover comparisons where A and B are not in the same container, such as "Check Spelling" being placed under a "Text" menu and "Check Accessibility" being placed under an "Accessibility" menu. The term "visible" is necessary in order to practically compare things that are equally available to most authors, but may differ in terms of their order when accessed via the keyboard.

--
(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.
jrichards@ocad.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844