ATAG 2.0: Document usability - referring to authors

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:56:32 -0500
To: WAI-AUWG List <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Currently we say "the author(s)" in our normative guidelines, but it
causes lots of grammatical challenges and I think it makes the document
harder to parse. This change was originally done to emphasize that
multiple people might be involved in a workflow in different ways.

I think we can simply and better meet the multi-author role goal by the
following:

(1) we change "the author(s)" to "authors" in the success criteria

(2) We add an applicability note to Part B to make it clear that not
every author in a tool's workflow needs to have every ability prescribed
in Part B, as long as someone does along the way.

#6. Multiple author roles: Some authoring tools include multiple author
roles, each with different views and content editing permissions (e.g.,
a content management system may separate the roles of designers, content
authors, and quality assurers). In these cases, the Part B success
criteria apply to the authoring tool as a whole, not to the view
provided to any particular author role.

(3) We can smooth out the definition of "authors" as well:

authors
People who use an authoring tool to create or modify web content for use
by other people. This may include content authors, designers,
programmers, publishers, testers, etc. working either alone or
collaboratively (see also Part B Applicability Note #6). A person only
qualifies as an author of some given content if (1) the authoring tool
supports the relevant web content technology used to implement that
content and (2) the person has author permission for that content.

jan.richards@utoronto.ca | 416-946-7060

Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
Faculty of Information | University of Toronto