ATAG2: freehand drawing term

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:57:13 -0500
To: WAI-AUWG List <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Hi all,

Here's an issue that's been left hanging:

For "A.3.1.1 Keyboard Access (Minimum): All functionality of the
authoring tool is operable through a keyboard interface, except for
freehand drawing@@ (Level A)"...

...we defined the term "freehand drawing" as:
An authoring action in which content is created or modified on the basis
of continuously recording data (e.g., the location, speed, pressure,
angle) from a pointing device (e.g., mouse, stylus). Freehand drawing
does not include other uses of pointing devices, such as setting
endpoints, drag-and-drop or entering text via a handwriting recognition
system. Freehand drawing also does not include setting the properties
(e.g., color, line thickness) of freehand drawn content objects as a whole.

...but there was a feeling on the call that "freehand drawing" had a
different commonsense meaning. I said I would suggest some replacement
terms. How about:

- freehand input
- continuous freehand input
- continuous pointing device input

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

jan.richards@utoronto.ca | 416-946-7060

Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
Faculty of Information | University of Toronto